Today I’m going to spend some time going over our newest Marketing Automation integration: Marketo.
The CallRail Direct Connect Integration with Marketo was born out of our need here at CallRail for a robust marketing automation platform that could track all the ways our prospects interact with our company prior to becoming a customer. We realized that Marketo was best for our needs and quickly determined that there was something missing from our Marketo implementation.
Since many of our prospects call our sales team over the phone on their path to purchase, it was essential to have this phone call data integrated with Marketo. Marketo doesn’t do this natively, so we built an integration that pulls phone call data into Marketo. Because our customers are always requesting integrations with marketing automation platforms we decided to share the benefits of our internal Marketo integration with the more than 25,000 businesses that use CallRail.
What is Marketo?
Marketo makes marketing automation software for marketers who want to get an integrated, holistic understanding of how customers become customers, and how to optimize lead generating channels for growth. In their own words, Marketo’s “powerful marketing automation software helps marketers master the art & science of digital marketing to engage customers and prospects.”
It’s no secret that Marketo has seen explosive growth since it released its first lead management product in 2008. The company went public in 2013 and now serves more than 4100 businesses around the world.
Why do people use Marketo?
From the beginning of its existence, Marketo has been built by marketers for marketers. The company’s laser focus on making marketers’ jobs easier has resulted in an extensive suite of tools, comprising email marketing, inbound marketing, lead generation, lead nurturing, lead management, engagement marketing, content marketing, social marketing, event marketing and more. Each tool has been built around two objectives. First, the tools aim to track what marketing activities are correlated with sales. Second, each tool aims to help marketers deliver more high quality leads to the sales team by scoring leads based on which activities are, in fact, correlated with sales.
For marketers who are managing so many different lead generation channels (email campaigns, newsletters, social media, content, PPC, organic, etc.), understanding which channel or combination of channels is producing the highest quality leads is essential. Without Marketo marketers would need to deploy, manage, and optimize each channel and then manually join the performance metrics for each channel in order to get an accurate, holistic view of what’s working. Even then it can be difficult to get an accurate correlation between, for example, webinar attendance and revenue impact.
Put simply: Marketers love Marketo because it makes sense of all the different activities we do as marketers and it paints the picture of what’s working (and what’s not.)
What problem does the CallRail Marketo integration solve?
Our job as marketers is to deliver leads to our sales teams, through whatever channel works. Marketo does an outstanding job tracking lead conversions coming in through web forms, for example, but it falls short when it comes to leads that pick up the phone. As more and more people are using their smartphones to research businesses and make buying decisions, prospects are opting to call businesses instead of pecking out their details in a web form.
There are other ways to get call data into Marketo, but they are cumbersome, require manual data entry and often mandate the use of Salesforce CRM. For marketers who track phone calls through CallRail and use Marketo, our Direct Connect integration makes sure that call data from leads is seamlessly passed over to Marketo as lead activities. No CRM or manual data entry required.
CallRail Direct Connect for Marketo provides:
- Automated Duplicate Elimination: CallRail’s Direct Connect for Marketo combines caller information with Marketo’s web tracking to eliminate duplicate contacts
- Phone Call and SMS Activity: CallRail will close the lead attribution gap by sending phone call and text message events from your tracking numbers into Marketo’s lead activity log. This includes the text message content, tracking phone number, and the caller’s name and telephone number.
- One Source of Lead Activity: All lead activities are captured directly in Marketo’s activity log, giving you a holistic view of lead life cycles.
- Dynamic Number Insertion: Campaign specific tracking phone numbers populate automatically into online content and display to the right audience – capturing the full visitor journey before and after the call.
- Keyword Level & Source Tracking: Understand which campaigns drive phone calls. Identify lead sources and associate calls back to the organic keyword searches and paid campaigns that drove them.
- Healthcare Compliant Call Tracking: For healthcare organizations interested in integrating their call analytics with Marketo, CallRail offers Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant call tracking. This plan enables covered entities and the marketing agencies serving them to track inbound leads, while maintaining compliance with regulations set forth by HIPAA and HITECH.
Getting Started with CallRail’s Direct Connect Marketo integration
In order to get your CallRail account connected with your Marketo account,you’ll need to have your CallRail account information, Marketo account information, and CallRail’s Dynamic Number Insertion installed on your website. You can view detailed, step by step instructions for the Direct Connect integration in our Marketo Quick Start Guide.