Sr. PostgreSQL Database Administrator
Location: Atlanta, GA or Remote (US)
CallRail is seeking a Sr. PostgreSQL Database Administrator (DBA) to help accelerate the growth of our Operations team. Reporting to the Director of Engineering (Infrastructure), this person will be responsible for the ongoing planning and operations of our SQL databases.
The Infrastructure Operations team brings a software engineering perspective to delivering quality operations at scale and driving automation in every aspect of the job. We believe that Engineering teams should be able to deploy whatever, and whenever, with confidence.
What You'll Do
- Deliver incredible products. We’re a product-first company, and we aren’t satisfied until we’ve built a product so clearly superior that customers have no reason to consider anything else.
- Shared responsibility. We collaborate with Product Managers and Engineers, as equals, to provide optimal production services to our customers.
- Database guru. You have knowledge of how to architect and maintain databases in a variety of environments (AWS RDS, EC2, Aurora, etc.) in a high-availability (HA) setting.
- Be prepared. Proactively identify and prevent incidents through monitoring, automation, self-healing and resiliency initiatives, destructive testing, and game day exercises.
- Be a culture champion. As a data architect, you’ll guide our application teams towards solid technical decisions, share knowledge and expertise, help colleagues improve their designs, and ensure the applications perform well in production.
- Communicate well. You'll explain your work clearly to team members and help them make strong data architecture decisions. You’ll keep engineering leadership apprised of important developments and areas needing attention when appropriate.
- Be a good teammate. You'll be helpful, open-minded, respectful, and collaborative. You'll support your teammates and challenge them to do their best work.
- Learn. Regardless of your level of experience or seniority, you'll work to improve your skills and learn more about our customers and their needs.
Desired Skills & Experience
We require you to be willing and able to do all of the things in the previous section. Beyond that, there are a handful of things that may make you a better fit. We'll consider candidates who don't check all of these boxes. If you've got analogous experience or a track record of being able to pick things up quickly, please tell us in your application!
Experience with the following would be helpful:
- Responsible for daily care and feeding of PostgreSQL databases; including performance tuning, backups, and capacity planning
- Designing effective monitoring/alerting and log aggregation solutions using tools including AWS CloudWatch, APM (DataDog, New Relic, AppDynamics, etc.), etc.
- Document and evangelize technical standards and best practices to the engineering organization
- Provisioning and configuration of AWS services using AWS CLI / API and Terraform
- Running PostgreSQL across multiple environments, AZs, and Regions in AWS.
- Familiarity with software-as-a-service platforms, particularly for small and medium-sized businesses
- Familiarity with containerization
- Experience in NoSQL technologies (Redis, ElasticSearch, DynamoDB)
- Developing and maintaining the software in security and regulatory compliance environments (PCI-DSS, HIPAA, SOC 2, etc.)
- Experienced in patch management, CVE remediation, and security incident management
- Refactoring systems to perform well at scale while still being readable and easy to maintain
- Mentoring and coaching other software and DevOps engineers
Technologies and Tools We Use
- Ansible, Terraform, SemaphoreCI
- AWS EC2, S3, EKS, RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift
- Python, Go, Ruby, Rails, Sidekiq, and Rspec
- Kubernetes, Helm, and Docker
- DataDog (APM, Monitoring), AWS CloudWatch, and PagerDuty
- Postgres, Redis, RabbitMQ, and Elasticsearch
- 100% medical coverage for employees
- Competitive HSA with company matching
- Generous dental and vision plans
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible vacation policy
- 401K options with company dollar-for-dollar match
- Employee stock options available from day one
- $2,000 annual educational allowance
- Catered lunch every Tuesday * an in-office perk
- MARTA transportation and office parking expenses covered
- Employee charitable donation company match, up to $500 annually
- Regular company outings and events *yes, even during COVID, except virtually
- Remote work from home options with $500 office stipend to set up your home office
- Designated bike storage
Learn more: https://www.callrail.com/about/
You Are Welcome Here
CallRail understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company's core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
Working Remote vs. Office
In The Before Times™, our team worked 3-5 days/week out of our office located Downtown, Atlanta. We enjoyed catered lunch once a week and easy access to many local restaurants, parks, and MARTA within a few blocks. Mario Kart 8 races occurred frequently. And we often worked face-to-face at a whiteboard or over each other’s shoulders to share ideas, chat, and enjoy each other’s company.
It turns out that those things are fun and desirable, but not required. We’re open to fully-remote candidates for this position. Locally we’re currently 100% work-from-home, but we’ll be gradually reopening the office this summer. Starting in September, members of our dev teams who are local to Atlanta will be asked to come to the office on a schedule the team negotiates among themselves; we’re guessing most will be on the order of a day or two per week, and we’re listening to feedback on that as we go.