Senior DevOps Engineer
The Position & Team
CallRail is looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer with a database and/or security focus to join our growing team.
The Infrastructure Operations team brings a software engineering perspective to delivering quality operations at scale and driving automation in every aspect of the job. We believe that Engineering teams should be able to deploy whatever, and whenever, with confidence.
What You'll Do
- Deliver incredible products. We’re a product-first company, and we aren’t satisfied until we’ve built a product so clearly superior that customers have no reason to consider anything else.
- Shared responsibility. We collaborate with Product Managers and Engineers, as equals, to provide optimal production services to our customers.
- Cloud (AWS) guru. You have knowledge of how to architect and deploy secure and robust applications on AWS technologies and have experience in a high-traffic web environment. AWS Certified Solutions Architect a plus.
- Be prepared. Proactively identify and prevent incidents through monitoring, automation, self-healing and resiliency initiatives, destructive testing, and game day exercises.
- Be a culture champion. As a DevOps evangelist, you’ll guide our application teams towards solid technical decisions, share knowledge and expertise, help colleagues improve their designs, and ensure the applications perform well in production.
- Communicate well. You'll explain your work clearly to team members, and seek feedback to build a codebase we all enjoy contributing to. You’ll keep engineering leadership apprised of important developments on your team, and areas needing attention when appropriate.
- Be a good teammate. You'll be helpful, open-minded, respectful, and collaborative. You'll support your teammates and challenge them to do their best work.
- Learn. Regardless of your level of experience or seniority, you'll work to improve your skills and learn more about our customers and their needs.
Desired Skills and Experience
We require you to be willing and able to do all of the things in the previous section. Beyond that, there are a handful of things that may make you a better fit. We'll consider candidates who don't check all of these boxes. If you've got analogous experience or a track record of being able to pick things up quickly, please tell us in your application!
Experience with the following would be helpful:
- Designing effective monitoring/alerting and log aggregation solutions using tools including AWS CloudWatch and APM (DataDog, New Relic, AppDynamics, etc.)
- Provisioning and configuration of AWS services using AWS CLI / API and Terraform
- Familiarity with Config Management tools (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc)
- Familiarity with software-as-a-service platforms, particularly for small and medium-sized businesses
- Familiarity with containerization
- Strong understanding of SQL (Postgres) and NoSQL solutions
- Developing and maintaining the software in security and regulatory compliance environments (PCI-DSS, HIPAA, SOC 2, etc.)
- Experienced in patch management, CVE remediation, and security incident management
- Writing web applications with an MVC framework, especially Ruby on Rails
- Refactoring systems to perform well at scale while still being readable and easy to maintain
- Reviewing the code in a way that empowers your teammates while improving our codebase
- Mentoring and coaching other engineers
Technologies and Tools We Use:
- Ansible, Terraform, SemaphoreCI
- AWS EC2, S3, EKS, RDS, DynamoDB, Redshift
- Python, Go, Ruby, Rails, Sidekiq, and Rspec
- Kubernetes, Helm, and Docker
- DataDog (APM, Monitoring), AWS CloudWatch, and PagerDuty
- Postgres, Redis, RabbitMQ, and Elasticsearch
- 100% paid medical insurance for employees
- HSA match
- 401(k) match
- Charitable giving match
- Flexible PTO Policy
- Continuing Education benefit
- Stock Options
- Generous parental leave policy
- Home office stipend
- Commuter benefits
Learn more: https://www.callrail.com/about/
You Are Welcome Here
CallRail understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company's core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).