Principal Platform Engineer
Location: Atlanta, GA or Remote (US)
CallRail, the leading call analytics platform for small and mid-sized businesses, started its life as a monolithic Rails app. Over the past several years, we’ve successfully extracted key pieces of this monolith into services to ensure scalability and reliability. As we look towards a future of continued growth and multiple product lines, it’s time to get even more serious about building a mature service-oriented platform.
CallRail is looking for a Principal Software Engineer with a focus on platform architecture to lead this endeavor. You’ll report directly to the CTO, and work with a small team to define the architecture, prototype solutions, and set design patterns for the platform. You’ll decide standards for inter-service communication, define the Strategic Technical Roadmap, and create and evangelize an Operational Maturity Model. You’ll help teams design services in their respective domains that fit within this architecture, and ensure we’re set up for the next 10x of scale. Ideal candidates will thrive in a fast-paced environment, and be comfortable setting the right guardrails without trying to dictate everything.
What You’ll Do
- Deliver incredible products. We’re a product-first company, and we win our customers’ loyalty every single month.
- Prioritize delivery. Our teams ship code multiple times daily, and you’ll help us deliver small continuous improvements with each iteration.
- Communicate well. As a leader in our technical organization, clear written communication and documentation habits will be critical to the success of your work.
- Be a good teammate. You'll be helpful, open-minded, respectful, and collaborative. You'll support your teammates and challenge them to do their best work.
- Learn. You’re here to lead, but know that constant learning (and sometimes failure) is the only path to success.
- Enable others. You’re not necessarily here to build the product, but rather to enable teams to deliver their product goals quickly and confidently.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Designing service-oriented platforms at scale. You’ve either done this before, or worked at a senior level within a well-architected service-oriented platform.
- Advocating for best practices and architecture decisions across large teams. You’re comfortable explaining trade-offs made, documenting choices, and presenting decisions.
- Ruby, Rails, Protobuf, and gRPC. We aren’t dogmatic about Ruby, but our existing backends are largely Rails-based. You’ll need enough familiarity to find your way around, and a desire to work with colleagues well-versed in that stack.
- Postgres, ElasticSearch, DynamoDB, Redis. These are the tools we use today. We welcome additions when we find a use case that isn’t well suited to an existing data store.
- AWS. Our infrastructure exists entirely on AWS, and moving in the direction of adopting more managed services to let our team focus on higher-level goals.
- EKS and Traefik. We’re on a path to fully adopt these tools.
- Twilio and cloud-based telephony. If you haven’t been exposed to this before, we’ll fix that quickly.
We’re open-minded about adopting new technologies for specific use cases, and want your input on what tools might be a good fit for a particular job. We don’t have burning problems pushing us to rebuild the entire platform using different technologies, but we also aren’t opposed to adopting new languages, data stores, or otherwise when it makes business sense.
- 100% medical coverage for employees
- Competitive HSA with company matching
- Generous dental and vision plans
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible vacation policy
- 401K options with company dollar-for-dollar match
- Employee stock options available from day one
- $2,000 annual educational allowance
- Catered lunch every Tuesday * an in-office perk
- MARTA transportation and office parking expenses covered
- Employee charitable donation company match, up to $500 annually
- Regular company outings and events *yes, even during COVID, except virtually
- Remote work from home options with $500 office stipend to set up your home office
- Designated bike storage
Learn more: https://www.callrail.com/about/
You Are Welcome Here
CallRail understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company's core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions. In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example - she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).